2013 Bike Around the Bay, sponsored by
GBF is excited to continue its full-loop route first implemented in 2012. It features a start and a finish at the Barbers Hill ISD complex in Mont Belvieu, TX, just off of I-10.
From the starting line, the ride takes a scenic route that passes by the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge and through High Island--the highest point on the Gulf Coast between the Yucatan Peninsula and Alabama. Cyclists ride the Bolivar Ferry to Galveston Island, where they enjoy dinner and hospitality at Moody Gardens Hotel (hotel reservation not included in registration fee). The second day brings riders over the Galveston Causeway, through Texas City along the Texas City levee, through the bayside towns of Kemah and Seabrook, and over the Fred Hartman Bridge.
NEW FOR 2013: One Day Ride & Virtual Rider Options
One significant change this year is the option of participating for day one only. Cyclists will have the option during registration to select if they would like to be transported back to the start at Barber's Hill ISD from Moody Gardens, either 6:30pm Saturday or 10:30am Sunday morning. The fee is $35 and includes transportation for the cyclist, their bicycle and luggage. Reservations for the bus transportation should be prepurchased, as availibility will be limited at the time of pickup.See the links below for details on the day one route.*
*Route may be subject to minor changes
GBF is also offering a new "Virtual Rider" option in 2013, allowing allowing non-cyclists (injured riders, GBF volunteers, supporters etc.) to be part of Bike Around the Bay if they're unable to participate in ride weekend. The "Virtual Rider" option is ideal for:
- Cyclists who love the ride but are injured, traveling, or otherwise unable to ride this year;
- Volunteers who want to help support the ride by raising money from family and friends;
- Those who want to learn what Bike Around the Bay is all about before committing to riding.
- Conservation and recreation enthusiasts interested in supporting and fundraising for the long-term preservation of Galveston Bay
The registration fee to be a Bike Around the Bay "Virtual Rider" is $25 and there is no minimum fundraising requirement. Virtual Riders will receive event t-shirts and are eligible for earned fundraising prizes.
BIKE AROUND THE BAY 2013 ROUTE
Overview Route Map (may be subject to minor changes):
Detailed Route Maps (PDF):
Day 1 Route (1 MB)
Day 2 Route (4 MB)
COST and REGISTRATION INFO
Early Registration: $25
May 15, 2013 - June 30, 2013
$25 registration fee
Regular Registration: $45
July 1, 2013 - September 30, 2013
$45 registration fee
Late Registration: $65
October 1, 2013 - October 12, 2013
(late registrants are not guaranteed a t-shirt)
Two Day Rider: $150 minimum
One Day Rider: $100 minimum
* All cyclists are required to meet the $150 or $100 fundraising minimum prior to packet pick-up. The fundraising window will remain open until November 12, 2013 for fundraising prize and top fundraiser purposes only.
Shuttle for one day riders: $35
Non-cyclists (injured riders, BAB volunteers, GBF volunteers, etc.) can be a part of Bike Around the Bay even if they're unable to participate in ride weekend.
Registration: $25 ($18 is tax-deductible)
Fundraising: No fundraising minimum
- Registrations and associated pledge donations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The minimum age for a rider riding his or her own bicycle is 12 years of age.
- Each rider of a tandem bicycle should register separately.
- Dinner at Moody Gardens on the evening of day one is complimentary for registered cyclists. Extra dinner tickets for guests can be pruchased for $25 during registration online or prior to the event, or on-site during the ride.
- All pledge donations are tax-deductible. We encourage online giving. If you prefer to mail, please use this pledge form and ensure all checks are payable to the Galveston Bay Foundation. Please make sure the riders name and Bike Around the Bay are listed in the "memo" field. Mail to: Galveston Bay Foundation, 17330 Hwy. 3, Webster, TX 77598. Please check back soon for fundraising tips!
As a conservation organization, GBF is committed to making Bike Around the Bay as "green" as possible.
We are pleased to have Waste Management providing full recycling services for Bike Around the Bay at the breakpoints and the start/finish lines for each day. We know our cyclists will truly be excited to Recycle and we thank Waste Management for that opportunity! Galveston Bay Foundation will also make a concerted effort to reduce waste by using bulk packaging for breakpoint supplies where available.
Packet pick-up will take place on Thursday and Friday with one day in Houston and one day in Clear Lake. More details will be provided as we near the ride weekend.
Saturday, October 12, 2013
Barbers Hill ISD
Sunday, October 13, 2013
Moody Gardens Hotel
More details to be posted soon.
- The overnight stay in Galveston, Texas at Moody Gardens Hotel promises to be fun, relaxing and to re-energizing for Day 2 excursions, and those who choose the option of being shuttled back to the start on Sunday morning. Instructions on booking your room at Moody Gardens.
- Secure overnight bike storage will be provided at the finish line for all participants.
- Personal vehicles left overnight at Barbers Hill ISD will be secure with a police officer on duty.
- Applicants are responsible for overnight accommodations (not included in registration).
- A list of hotels with discounted Bike Around the Bay rates will be listed soon. Check back regularly for up-to-date details.
Saturday, October 12, 2013
Barbers Hill ISD Start: Luggage trucks will be available to transport riders' luggage to Moody Gardens Hotel. Each rider will receive a numbered adhesive luggage tag to be placed around the luggage handle. Luggage without a tag will not be accepted.
Moody Gardens Hotel/Overnight: Upon arrival to Moody Gardens Hotel, the luggage area will be located near the finish line. Riders may pick up their luggage at this location.
Sunday, October 13, 2013
Moody Gardens Hotel: Luggage trucks will be available to transport riders' luggage to the finish line at Barbers Hill ISD, Baytown, Texas.
Barbers Hill ISD Finish Line: There will be signage indicating where the luggage will be located at the finish line. Riders may pick up their luggage at this location.
For inquiries regarding ride details, contact Trey at email@example.com
For inquiries regarding registration, sponsorships & fundraising, contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org
For inquiries regarding volunteer oportunites, contact Emily at email@example.com
For additional details about Bike Around the Bay, see the Ride FAQ.